Let Go of the Pain that’s Running Your Organisation
You’re probably the leader of an organisation of one sort or another. It could be a company, a family, a non-profit organisation, or a campaign to change the world. Whatever it is, your organisation is a reflection of you.
All of us have been members of an organisation led by someone else. You’ll know from experience how that person’s foibles, blind-spots, hang-ups, sensitivities, and mental blocks affected you directly. Even if you admired or were inspired by them in some way, you had to keep managing the negative effect they had on you.
Now that you’re a leader, it’s worth remembering that everyone in your organisation is affected by the pain that you’ve accumulated over the years. This will directly affect your success — or lack of it. In the last 25 years as a headhunter and angel investor I’ve seen many such situations. Here are a couple of examples:
· An entrepreneur who concluded as a child that he couldn’t trust anyone. Now he’s an adult trying to raise funding for his start-up. His distrust of other people makes it extremely difficult to draw up a shareholders’ agreement and raise the money. The process becomes so complicated that investors back away. In the meantime, someone who doesn’t have the same hang-ups launches a rival product and signs up lots of customers. Our entrepreneur friend has missed his opportunity.
· A CEO has experienced pain which is still stored in her body. I regularly ask people (a) to think of the most emotionally painful experience in their early childhood, without telling me what it is. Then I ask them (b) if they can still feel the pain. Finally, I ask them (c) to point to where the pain is in their body. In 99% of cases, they can locate it immediately. That pain is still running their lives — and their organisations — decades later. It shows up in high staff turnover and low productivity, as people spend more time worrying about keeping their jobs and less time serving clients or customers. It also leads to poor health, difficult personal relationships, and so on.
So what can you do about it? The answer is to learn the completion technique, which dates back 10,000 years. It will enable you to let go of the pain that’s running your life and your organisation. Here are some resources to help you get started:
- A video by HDH Sri Nithyananda Paramashiva ( A.K.A. Swamiji), in which he explains the completion technique.
- A short video which I made recently
- An introduction to The Power of Letting Go, currently available in English and Spanish.
- Ma Nithya Atmadayananda runs free classes every Sunday from 11.00 am to 12.30 pm UK time. Please message me for more information.
Copyright John Purkiss 2022
For more information on applying enlightened principles to business and investing:
For more information on John Purkiss, author of the Power of Letting Go:
Banahasta (John Purkiss) is a partner with August Leadership, where he recruits C-suite executives and board members. He is an experienced angel investor and the author of ‘The Power of Letting Go’ (Octopus Books/ Hachette). Banahasta studied economics at Cambridge and has an MBA from INSEAD